Closing Date: 22 Jul, 2019
The Content Specialist is a writer and content creator for Sydney Theatre Company (STC) to support the promotion of STC’s theatre productions and a wide range of other projects. The main aim of this role is to ensure that STC has engaging, rich and informative content that can be used in a number of channels and platforms.
An exceptional writer and social media savvy, the Content Specialist develops and manages STC content. Flexing between long-form thought pieces and short, snappy marketing copy, the Content Specialist writes and edits a range of engaging and informative digital and offline content including online articles and interviews, printed play programs, marketing copy and taglines. With skills in video and audio production, the Content Specialist produces short videos and recordings for digital marketing and social media channels and works with external suppliers to develop advertising trailers. We are seeking someone creative and versatile for this busy role in a premiere arts company.
Under the guidance of the Marketing Manager, the Content Specialist works closely with the marketing team and other departments across the business to deliver content that is powerful and memorable while remaining on-brand. As the content needs of the business are considerable, the Content Specialist also needs to work collaboratively with other departments to help guide their own content creation. This role suits someone who understands that content must put the audience’s needs first, and has experience in bringing stories and creative experiences to life.
Someone who has a love of theatre and the arts, is social media savvy and has a background in long-form writing and editing will prosper in our fast-paced, quick-turnaround team environment. The role involves working closely with senior resident and visiting theatre artists, stepping inside the rehearsal room to gain insight into the productions and the artistic process. The person must an adept interviewer and sensitive to the artistic process as well as a collaborative self-starter who can work autonomously to proactively solve problems. Of course, scrupulous attention to detail, an ability to respond swiftly, oversee quality control and hit all deadlines is non-negotiable.
The Content Specialist will enjoy daily variety, a positive environment and the opportunity to work in an organisation full of creative and innovative minds, surrounded by people who love what they do.
Under the guidance of the Marketing Manager:
Content strategy and production
- Develop a content marketing plan and calendar that stretches across multiple engagement opportunities and guide other members of the marketing team and departments to create compelling content.
- Build a content library of short articles and content pieces, interviews, videos and long-form editorial pieces that can be used across key media channels (paid, earned and owned).
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to ensure the content plan delivers on the broader company strategic direction and individual marketing campaign strategic objectives.
- Ensure that top-of-funnel content is topical and complements each marketing campaign in market.
- Review and report on content performance metrics, looking for continual improvement opportunities.
- Brief and commission content from internal and external contributors.
- Organise and conduct interviews with the artistic team, resident and visiting artists and other relevant subjects for text based, audio and video content.
- Research content for shows, in consultation with the marketing team and production directors.
- Source images to accompany content, ensuring all copyright obligations are met.
- Take ownership of and adhere to STC brand guidelines (currently in active development), ensuring all content complies with the relevant brand and style guidelines, and serves STC’s vision and strategic goals.
- Create and project manage delivery of STC play production programs, acting as the key liaison with our program provider Playbill.
Video and audio production
- Shoot and edit short videos for social media and digital channels.
- Inspire and manage the briefing process for advertising trailers with the creative team, working closely with designers, videographers and editors.
- Manage post-production workflow to ensure content pieces are delivered to the marketing team on time and on budget.
Marketing and advertising copy
- Assist in the development of advertising copy and taglines for marketing campaigns, working as the brand custodian for the marketing team ensuring all copy maintains STC’s unique tone of voice and writing style.
- Produce play blurbs and marketing copy for STC’s annual season brochure.
- Perform administrative tasks as required including costing and budget management, invoicing, letters of agreement and file management.
Department and Relationships
- Play a key role in the marketing team, contributing to the collaborative working style of the team.
- Take an active role and provide meaningful advice in the process of collaborating with external creatives, agencies and freelancers, particularly in creation of STC’s Season marketing materials.
- Liaise with external suppliers such as printers, complete proof checks and attend press checks where necessary, ensuring the timely quality delivery of material.
- Undertake content creation, and provide advice, ensuring effective liaison and collaboration with STC staff at all levels, including Public Relations, Philanthropy, Education, Corporate Development, Artistic, Production, the Executive office and more.
- Be an active participant in the marketing team and other agreed cross-departmental teams.
- Contribute to special projects as required.
- Carry out other similar or administrative duties as required.
1. Hours of Work
The usual hours of work are 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday. However, the requirements of this position require a degree of flexibility. Some additional or outside of usual hours work is required to meet our changing business needs and the demands of your role.
The position is currently based at Sydney Theatre Company’s temporary offices at Fox Studios Australia, Moore Park. From late 2020 the position will be based at Walsh Bay.
2. Salary and Entitlements
- Salary is dependent on skills and experience
- 4 weeks annual leave – pro rata
- 10.5% superannuation
- Complimentary tickets to STC productions, subject to availability
In order to make your application for this position, please forward:
- Your CV
- A cover letter briefly outlining how your experience is applicable to the Key Selection Criteria on the last page of this Job Description. Please note; applications will not be considered if your cover letter does not reference the particular expertise specified in the Key Selection Criteria.
- Examples of your work – print and/or digital articles, video, podcast/radio. Send a portfolio or links to specific pieces.
Please forward your application to Kate Crisp, HR Manager,firstname.lastname@example.org.
For enquires specifically relating to the role
Contact Sophie Withers, Marketing Manager, Season & Audience Engagement, email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is9am, Monday 22nd July 2019.
Interviews will be held at Sydney Theatre Company offices in Fox Studios Australia, Moore Park soon after the closing date.
We will be looking for our new Content Specialist to commence by mid-August 2019 at the latest.
Must be Australian resident or hold current, appropriate working visa.
- Salary is dependent on skills and experience