Closing Date: 21 Nov, 2018
Company and Academy Ballet Master/Mistress
The Ballet Master/Mistress assists both the Artistic and Academy Directors to coordinate and deliver classes, rehearsals and programs, including performances, workshops and other similar events for the 2019 season.
The Ballet Master/Mistress is a confident team player with an inspiring presence who seeks to develop the next generation of Ballet dancers in Queensland.
#This is a Full-time temporary position for 12 months.
ABOUT QUEENSLAND BALLET
Queensland Ballet is a vibrant, creative company which connects people and dance across around the world and nurtures emerging local talent by presenting exciting new works in an intimate studio series. With a culture of creativity and collaboration, complemented by an active program of engagement with our communities, Queensland Ballet has become the central hub for dance in the State. Our dancers are acclaimed for their technical excellence and versatility, and our annual program offers diversity in style, audience focus, and geographic reach, with performances in Brisbane, tours around Queensland, Australia and the world, and a far-reaching community engagement program: creating magic, enriching lives.
The facilities at Queensland Ballet's home in Thomas Dixon Centre in Brisbane’s West End allow the Company to offer a full range of training and community access programs, including public dance classes. We are committed to providing a pathway for young talent through our Academy programs and dedicated to the pursuit of artistic excellence, dance education and the innovative presentation of classical repertoire. With bold and confident ambitions for the future, including a three-site: one vision strategy for our home infrastructure, we proudly build upon the legacy of many creative and gifted artists and arts-enablers who have been part of the Company’s rich history since 1960.
This role reports to the Artistic Director and Academy Director and works collaboratively with both the Head of Artistic Operations and Head of Academy Operations.
The following responsibilities are the key job requirements of the Ballet Master/Mistress:
- Teach both Company and Academy classes and warm-ups as required;
- Produce, circulate and post all scheduling and casting within required timeframes;
- Prepare and conduct rehearsals (alone and within a team) and take rehearsal notes;
- Liaise with the Artistic and Academy teaching teams and other Queensland Ballet departments, specifically Production, Wardrobe and Marketing, to ensure scheduling and production requirements (including casting changes) are handled and delivered in a professional and efficient manner;
- Coordinate accompanists for class and rehearsals;
- Coordinate the rehearsal activities of choreographers, teachers and other artists working with company dancers and academy students;
- Maintain artistic records and files and notate all ballets that enter the repertoire;
- Work collaboratively with the Company and Academy artistic teams in the development, promotion and implementation of sound policies, procedures and objectives;
- Work with the team to address any artistic concerns arising during class, rehearsals, or performance;
- Participate in company and student performance appraisals and maintain progress reports during class, rehearsals and on stage; and
- Ensure that all Company dancers and Academy Students are aware of and adhere to Queensland Ballet’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures and always uphold the reputation of both the Company and the Academy.
- Extensive experience as an accomplished professional dancer across a wide range of repertoire;
- Extensive experience in teaching professional classically-trained dancers; including extensive experience teaching dancers of all ages;
- Extensive experience in rehearsing classical and contemporary repertoire;
- A positive attitude and inspiring presence, including exceptional communication skills combined with the ability to engage company dancers and students with a passion for ballet and develop a positive team-oriented work environment;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills combined with knowledge of effective Ballet Company business processes.
20 working days per year (pro rata)
Ten working days per year (pro rata)
Six months from commencement.
Hours of Work
Nominally 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday but the appointee is regularly required to be available to work at events after hours and on weekends. Some inter and intra-state travel may also be required.
Salary will be negotiated with the preferred candidate. Superannuation is paid into the superannuation fund of your choice, currently at the rate of 9.5%.
Queensland Ballet provides a supportive and collaborative team environment combined with the opportunity to play an integral role in a dynamic and progressive organisation that is paving the way for the future of Ballet in Queensland.
Queensland Ballet offers all employees access to weekly dance classes and various other health and well-being initiatives.
To apply for this position please forward a covering letter, current resume and statement addressing the selection criteria via mail to:
Head of Human Resources
PO Box 3791
South Brisbane QLD 4101
Or via email email@example.com.
Referees will be sought from candidates following the interview process.
Queensland Ballet is committed to ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all children and appointment to the position will be subject to a valid working with children check and police check.
Applications close 5 pm Wednesday 21 November 2018. Applications received after this time may not be considered. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified via email on completion of the recruitment process.
For further information or for a confidential discussion please contact the Head of Human Resources on (07) 3013 6666. We respectfully advise that no agency applications will be considered at this time.
To reflect the diversity of the communities and people with whom we engage, we seek to hire a workforce that is both representative and diverse. With a focus on inclusion, accessibility and flexibility, we are committed to supporting you in your career with Queensland Ballet.