Closing Date: 18 Mar, 2019
ACT State Manager
Musica Viva have opened applications for the role of ACT State Manager.
SUMMARY INFORMATION Job Title: ACT State Manager Reports to: Deputy Chief Executive Officer Location of Job: Canberra Appointment type: Permanent Part-time (0.6FTE)
Musica Viva’s Mission
Musica Viva (MVA) exists to make Australia a more musical place. We are Australia’s largest presenter of chamber music and a leader in the provision of music education in the classroom. With a national office in Sydney and a presence in every state and territory, we reach approximately 360,000 people directly each year through inspiring performances, education activities and digital music resources.
Purpose of position
The ACT State Manager is the “face of Musica Viva” in ACT. This role has responsibility for the delivery and smooth operation of Musica Viva public concerts and education activities to audiences and schools throughout the state, working in conjunction with the organisation’s National Office staff, the ACT MVA local staff and theCommittee / volunteers.
This part-time position reports to the Deputy Chief Executive Officer. The position also has close working relationships with the CEO, and the various position holders in the areas of Education, Concerts, Concerts and Communties, Development, Operations and Finance along with an affiliation relationship with the other State Managers in WA, SA, Vic, and Qld.
The position manages locally-based staff and volunteers including the ACT State Coordinator as well as occasional casual staff. The position also works closely with the Committee President to ensure compliance with MVA’s business plan, fundraising and marketing guidelines and corporate values.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Primary responsibility for developing and maintaining effective relationships with Musica Viva stakeholders, including customers, advocates, donors, Board Directors, leadership, volunteers and Committee, artists, arts industry, corporate partners and government at state and local level, to build contributed and earned revenue.
• Contributed Revenue (non-box office): leverage relationships to sustain and build ACT contributed revenue, ensuring that all contracted obligations are fulfilled – and, wherever possible, exceeded. This will include individual donations, trusts & foundations, PAFs and government funding at state and local level, with strong returns on engagement, retention and acquisition strategies. In conjunction with National Development staff, research and prepare funding proposals for trusts/foundations and government. • Develop and maintain effective working relationships with existing or potential state corporate partners. • Earned Revenue (sales): recommend and direct the implementation of state-based marketing/engagement strategies that effectively complement national strategies and campaigns, ensuring that Musica Viva’s public concerts and education activities’ sales targets in the ACT are achieved, with strong returns on engagement, retention and acquisition strategies.
• Primary responsibility for identifying and driving the sharing of MVA stories re MVA impact in the ACT, ensuring the content is directed to the most effective distribution points inside/outside the organisation on multiple platforms. • Prepare and deliver presentations as required to build understanding and support for MVA programs in the ACT. • Primary responsibility for report writing and the provision of data, analysis and anecdotes necessary for proposal and/or acquittals, in consultation with National Office staff. • Primary responsibility for consultation with local review panels, consultative groups, the committee, Artistic Review panels, etc.
• Primary responsibility to ensure all work within the ACT Branch is undertaken with efficiency, innovation and strong customer service focus and in accordance with MVA core values of quality, diversity, challenge and joy. • Oversee ACT-based support staff, working with National Office staff, regarding operational management of all MVA programs operating in ACT, ensuring smooth running, on time and on budget, mindful of WH&S, training, mentorship and overall guidance responsibilities. • In conjunction with National Office staff, oversee local audience engagement and audience experience for ICS concerts in line with the national strategy, including but not limited to pre-concert talks and Meet The Artist events. • In conjunction with National Office staff, help to deliver MVA Education programs.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE OF POSITION HOLDER
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to speak publicly in a representational role on behalf of Musica Viva in the ACT as required. • Project management, decisively prioritising competing objectives and making clear decisions. • Attention to detail in both written and budget documentation • Budget management. • Demonstrable effectiveness working as part of collaborative team. • Proven capacity working with volunteers and mobilising advocates.
• Demonstrable leadership capacity to implement local strategies to generate earned and contributed revenue and to engage staff. • Flair in building effective relationships to raise profile and revenue from different types of stakeholders and networks. • Previous management experience, within either a state-wide or national organisation.
• Familiarity with the ACT educational and school systems. • Familiarity of and relationships with local ACT arts and education promotional networks. • Experience in developing audiences for the arts and/or education. • Understanding of how to leverage CRM effectively to meet MVA’s goals. • Commitment to the value of live music performance and general understanding of fine music.
• Capacity to work flexibly, incorporating regular out of office hours work and a small amount of interstate and intrastate travel. • Driver’s license desirable - plus optional access to a vehicle from time to time.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Abilities:
• Working knowledge of Tessitura CRM system. • Management experience within a national organisation.
To apply:Send your resume and a letter of application addressing the position requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries regarding the role can be made by contacting HR Director Sarah Vickers on (02) 8394 6613.
Please include a covering letter as applications without a cover letter addressing the position requirements will not be considered.
Musica Viva is a family friendly and flexible employer committed to equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and other diverse cultural and regional communities. We also welcome applications from people who identify as having a disability. If at any stage of the recruitment process you require any accommodation due to a disability please let us know.
Applications close: 6pm Monday 18 March 2019